The Top 10 Ten List Of Mistakes To Avoid When Building Your Website For Search Engine Relevancy
So… Here Are The Top Ten List Of Mistakes To Avoid When SEOing Your Website
1. Avoid Using ‘Splash’ Pages: A splash/flash page is usually pretty to look at for your visitor, as it is a cool visual presentation when someone comes to your site. It is usually moving graphics in the form of “Flash Animation”. These look nice, and you probably spent a bit of money to produce them, but they just do not help you in getting your site listed. Splash pages do not contain content, words and text that the search engine robots cannot hang on to and index. So your homepage just gets ignored, so just avoid them. It is also an extreme waste of bandwidth to get these visual effects showing to everyone who comes to your site. Instead, create a page that focuses on pure usable, keyword rich content. Do diligent keyword research, focus on the goal of your entire page and website and compile that on your front page. Give your website visitors a peek of whats in store when they arrive at your site. Focus those keywords throughout the page, on links and your headlines.
2. Avoid Frames: Try to avoid making websites with a lot of frames. The search engine robots for the most part cannot read them, thus do not index your pages containing frames. Inktomi as well as AltaVista simply will not index your framed sites at all. There are alternatives such as using CSS, because the SE bots just won’t bite.
4. Avoid Cookies: Most search engine bots cannot store cookies. If your website requires cookies enabled before a visitor can navigate your site, then it will be inaccessible to the search engines. Forcing cookies is not a good idea to begin with, and most browsers will have certain security measures against collecting them. So don’t force the use of those usable cookies on your site.
6. Avoid Using Long URLs: Page links with extremely long URL’s make it a difficult task for search engines to crawl your site. Whenever possible, use static pages and not dynamic pages to display your content. Also avoid using really long links. Use relevant anchor text links that are short and sweet and relative.
7. Avoid Pop-Ups: Search engines do not like popups, especially if its from your home page. It is also an annoyance to your visitors as well. The use of tasteless popups somehow also cheapens the value of your page. Popups generally gather and build email lists or offer additional offers etc. So not using pop-up ads will win favor with the search engines as well as your visitors.
8. Unique Title Tags: Title tags on your pages is generally the number 1 thing used by the SE robots to identify what type of content is on your page. Since most spiders distinguish every page on your site as different from your site as a whole, not using different ‘title pages’ on each of your pages within your site diminishes your content and websites value. So use unique “title tags” and keyword descriptions on each and every webpage.
9. Use Alt Tags: Search engines cannot read text that appears within a graphic image on your page. This is where using of the Alt Tags comes in handy. Alt tags allow you to create text within an image making it search engine friendly. The spiders will read this info and also use it to evaluate your page content. However, excessive use of alt tags can be viewed as ‘keyword stuffing’ so use brief descriptions only.
10. Lack of Genuine Relevant Content: The search engines will scan the text on your home page and then determine what your site is about. During this determination process, the search engine robots while reading the text, eliminates common words such as: (a, and, the, or, free, etc.), as well as “Sales Oriented” words such as “buy now”. With the remaining keywords and phrases, the spiders tries to determine what is actual relevant text on your page. If your page contains a lot of useless fluff, or lots of images, or a simple landing page to collect information, the search engines will not rank your site that high. So avoid the fluff n stuff, and keep your “Buy Now Today” sales pitches at a minimum and relevant within the content, in spots where the visitor expects to see them. Use keywords and phrases that are only specific to your topic and content. If you are creating a landing page for affiliate programs, make sure they have value by including a few articles etc.
So there you have it… The Top 10 List Of Free Search Engine Traffic… Hopefully this helps.